The Brother SQ9185 sewing machine model is made for straightforward stitching and quilting projects. It isn’t the fanciest machine, nor does it feature hundreds of options. Still, if you’re looking for a device that’s easy to learn and even easier on the pocketbook, this one may be for you.
The SQ9185 is now discontinued, so it’s hard to find in retail stores. You might have more luck online or buying a used or refurbished model to save even more. Don’t let its orphan status fool you. It’s just as good a machine as rolled off the factory assembly line on its debut.
I took a close look at all the SQ9185 has to offer and came up with this review. I also spoke with other sewing experts and retailers to find out how useful it could be to a home sewer/quilter.
Here is what you’ll find:
- Is the Brother SQ9185 right for you?
- An honest list of features and flaws
- What to expect when you buy
- Alternative choices to the SQ9185
Below is a list of the SQ9185 features prospective buyers most wish to know.
Our Rating = 4.6 / 5
For light home sewing, the Brother SQ9185 earns 4.6 out of a possible 5
Is Brother’s SQ9185 the one for you?
The SQ9185 may be a good option for beginner to intermediate sewers stretching their capabilities using a sewing machine that offers a range of stitching, quilting, and decorative work.
An honest list of features and flaws
Let’s break down key features, both good and bad.
Here’s what makes it so good:
- 130 Built-in stitches that include one sewing font with 55 alphanumeric stitches for basic monogramming
- A speedy 850 stitches per minute to tackle those seams fast and straight.
- A brightly lit LED area for sewing in less-than-optimal light
- For perfect buttonholes for any garment or project, the SQ9185 has 8 styles with a 1-step buttonhole maker.
- The advanced needle threading and drop-in bobbin feature make getting ready for sewing practically effortless.
- The SQ9185 is designed for quilting. A detachable wide table and drop-feed feature allow for easy free-motion quilting.
- A maximum stitch length of 5mm and stitch width of 7mm
- The variable speed control and start/stop button lets you control starts, speed, and stops with either pedal or onboard button.
- 8 snap-on presser feet let you control sewing on nearly any fabric and thickness.
- You’ll get smooth fabric feed with longer 7-point feed dogs.
- The SQ9185 ’s dimensions are 11.48” x 6.69” x 16.02” inches, weighing 18.45 pounds.
- 25-year limited warranty
But watch out for:
- The SQ9185 sewing machine is no longer being produced. New machines may be hard to locate but may be available from previous owners or shops with the machine in stock.
- A free-motion quilting foot must be purchased separately.
What others are saying
From the manufacturer:
“Have you ever dreamed of owning a sewing and quilting machine that contains all the best features of high-end models without the expensive price tag?” Brother International Inc.
What the pros say:
“(A)n impressive sewing and quilting machine. A wide variety of features, excellent performance, and affordable price make it a great deal.” Doyousew.com
“(A) versatile machine and a proven performer. It’s packed full of features that provide for quite a selection of your sewing, quilting, and decorative stitching needs.” Seworbit.com
“Compared to other sewing machines, this one is visually appealing and offers plenty of features for its price point.” Sewingmachinesguru.com
|Source||Av. Score||Last checked||No. Ratings|
|Amazon||3.6 out of 5||4 Jun 2021||285|
|Walmart||4.5 out of 5||4 Jun 2021||387|
|eBay||5 out of 5||4 Jun 2021||22|
What to expect when you buy
The following accessories are included with the SQ9185:
- 8 presser feet included (buttonhole, button sewing, overcasting, monogramming, walking, blindstitch, zigzag, quilting)
- Darning Plate
- Needle Set
- Ballpoint Needle
- Twin Needle
- 4 Bobbins
- Bobbin Clip
- Seam Ripper
- Cleaning Brush
- Eyelet Punch
- 3 Spool Caps
- Additional Spool Pin
- Accessory Bag
- Instructional DVD
- Instruction Manual
Alternatives to the Brother SQ9185
I compared the value of the SQ9185 to several other sewing machines in its class were examined for quilting and sewing capabilities.
This Brother model has comparable features at a low price.
Has 12 stitches, snap-on presser feet, dial stitch selector, and up to 860 stitches per minute speeds.
The SINGER entry is another solid electronic sewing machine to embellish, quilt, and sew straightforward projects.
In a nutshell
The discontinued Brother SQ9185 is a computerized entry model for exploring sewing, quilting, and embroidery. If you can find a new model in a retail store or a gently used model online, you’ll find it an excellent low-priced machine.