Suppose you aren’t planning to reupholster the living room furniture, make a king-size quilt for your college-bound daughter, or embroider a layette. In that case, the XL2600i might do just fine. The sewing machine has 27 unique built-in stitches, 6 presser feet, and an auto-size buttonholer. This is everything most home sewers need in a lightweight package ready to carry to classes or club meetings.
While Brother has discontinued the manufacture of the XL2600i, our review may help you decide if you want one of the remaining machines from retailers or as a used machine.
I’ve been sewing for more than 30 years. Taking advantage of this experience and talking to other home sewers, professionals, and instructors, I’ve come up with the following review that honestly and completely appraises the XL2600i for you.
Our Rating = 4.7 / 5
For home sewing, the XL2600i earns 4.7 out of a possible 5.0
In this article:
Is the Brother XL2600i right for you?
The XL2600i may be a good option for beginner to intermediate sewers who don’t need a lot of fancy stitching capability but want a solid and dependable sewing machine.
The Brother XL2600i reviewed: features and flaws
Here are the features I considered when rating this sewing machine.
What to love:
- The XL2600i comes with 25 built-in stitches, each with multiple functions. This stitch variety will handle quilting, utility, and decorative stitches.
- A removable free arm leaves a narrower bed to fit sleeves, hems, or cuffs.
- For a perfect buttonhole the first time, the XL2600i has a one-step buttonholer.
- The automatic needle threading, built-in thread cutter, and drop-in bobbin feature make some of the most irritating sewing chores easier and faster.
- The variable needle position makes your stitching under your control.
- Six snap-on presser feet let you control sewing operations like you have an ever-present assistant to make life easier.
- The XL2600i’s dimensions are 12.3 x 7.7 x 9.6 inches, and it weighs 13 pounds.
- 25 years limited parts, 1-year labor warranty
But watch out for:
- The XL2600i sewing machine is no longer being produced. New machines may be hard to locate.
What others are saying about the Brother XL2600i
From the manufacturer:
“The Brother XL2600i has been built with maximum performance to expand your sewing skills. This versatile sewing machine is perfect for sewing, quilting, and decorating clothing, crafts, and home fashion.” Brother USA
What the pros say:
“The current (XL2600i) sewing machine model from Brother is an affordable, free-arm machine which will be perfect even for the beginners.” DoYouSew.com
“Essentially, this is a great machine for older children or adult beginners to start with. It’s perfect for making pillows and doing other small projects as well.” Sewing Summit
“This little beauty is one of the best machines to help you find your footing when you’re just stepping into the sewing world, but will also support you and help you to grow as you get more experienced as a sewer.” SewingFromHome.com
|Source||Av. Score||Last checked||No. Ratings|
|Amazon||4.4 out of 5||31 March 2021||520|
|JOANN Stores||4.4 out of 5||31 March 2021||114|
|eBay||4.7 out of 5||31 March 2021||185|
What to expect when you buy
The following are included with the XL2600i:
- 6 snap-on presser feet (button sewing foot, buttonhole foot, blind stitch foot, narrow hemmer foot, and zipper foot)
- 3 needles
- 3 bobbins
- Twin needle
- Darning plate
- Additional spool pin
Alternatives to the Brother XL2600i
I compared the XL2600i with other sewing machine manufacturers and have found the following to be comparable.
Janome MOD-19 Sewing Machine
The Janome entrance sewing machine model has 19 stitches and a 1-step buttonholer.
In a nutshell
The discontinued Brother XL2600i is an entry model suitable for sewers just learning the craft, even children. It will stand the test of time for home sewists who only need a machine for simple projects or mending.