The SINGER 3116, although no longer manufactured, is a great entry model to the sewing hobby. It isn’t a stripped-down model but features basic, stretch, and decorative stitches. This capability offers sewers a pathway from beginner to accomplished sewing. Now that it’s out of production, prices might be less expensive, making this a good buy.
I consulted with other home sewers, professionals, and instructors to arrive at a complete and comprehensive review.
Our Rating = 4.0 / 5.0
For home sewing, the SINGER 3116 SIMPLE earns a solid 4.0 out of a possible 5.0
In this article:
Is the SINGER 3116 SIMPLE right for you?
The SINGER 3116 SIMPLE is designed for beginners. If you haven’t sewn by machine before or have minimal experience, the 3116 is a good introduction to the hobby. You’ll be able to sew kid’s clothes, do the family mending, and even run up some kitchen curtains.
The SINGER 3116 reviewed: an honest list of features (and flaws)
Here are the features I considered when rating this sewing machine.
What to love:
- 18 stitches included
- Automatic needle threader
- Fully automatic 1-step buttonhole
- Adjustable stitch length & width
- Automatic tension settings.
- Snap-on presser feet
- Heavy-duty metal frame
- On-board storage
- Free arm for sleeves and hems
- Center zigzag taper – when tapering with the zigzag stitch, the stitch tapers to the center, not the left or right
- Twin needle capability
- 5mm maximum stitch width
- Multiple needle positions
- Extra-high presser foot lifter for heavier and multiple layers of fabric
- Automatic presser foot pressure control
- Product dimension: 18.2 x 10.5 x 13.8 inches
- Product weight: 3 pounds
- 25/2/90 Warranty
But watch out for:
- A front-loading bobbin is usually a problem for inexperienced sewers. If loaded incorrectly, it will make a massive nest of thread balls and mess with the thread tension. This is not a machine fault, but inexperience and misunderstanding of the directions.
What others are saying
What the pros say:
“The SINGER 3116 Simple Sewing Machine is the basic sewing machine you will love to use.” SewingMachinePlus.com
“The Singer 3116 has what just might be one of the easiest to understand and use stitch selection systems I’ve seen on any sewing machine.” SewingInsight.com
“Singer 3116 is very much an entry-level sewing machine. It has all the features you can expect from an inexpensive sewing machine. It comes with 18 built-in stitches, including a 1-step buttonhole.” Best-Home-Ideas.com
|Source||Av. Score||Last checked||No. Ratings|
|Amazon||4 out of 5||21 March 2021||53|
|Joann||4.2 out of 5||21 March 2021||22|
What to expect when you buy
The following accessories are included with the 3116 SIMPLE:
- Darning Plate
- Thread Spool Cap Holders
- All-Purpose Foot
- Buttonhole Foot
- Button Sewing Foot
- Zipper Foot
- Edge/Quilting Guide
- Lint Brush/Seam Ripper and Oil Bottle
Alternatives to the SINGER 3116 SIMPLE
While the 3116 is now out of production, other models might be comparable. Don’t forget, however, that a gently used 3116 SIMPLE sewing machine might be just fine.
This machine compares very well with the 3116 and has comparable features.
Another beginner’s good bet, it has 27 built-in stitches and an auto-size buttonhole.
Easy to use and includes every feature you would need for basic or beginner sewing.
In a nutshell
The SINGER 3116 SIMPLE is one of several good choices for the beginning sewer. You can either stick with the 3116, move over to SINGER’s 3221 SIMPLE, or try one of the other manufacturers’ entry-level offerings. Visit your local fabric store and see if you can try one of these models before you buy.