The Brother XM2701 is a sewing machine that experienced home sewing enthusiasts will love. It has nearly every conceivable function within easy reach and without complicated instructions.
This Brother has the best of both straight sewing and embroidering with plenty of stitch selections, a whopping 800 stitches per minute speed, and a ton of included presser feet. You can take on nearly any imagined project with the XM2701.
Don’t take just my word for it. I researched evaluations from pros, instructors, and buyers to make sure that the review is complete and comprehensive.
Our Rating = 4.9 / 5
For home sewing, the Brother XM2701 earns a solid 4.9 out of a possible 5.0
In this article:
Is the Brother XM2701 right for you?
Most home sewers will find the Brother XM2701 will fulfill most requirements. The machine is friendly to new sewers with limited skills, and, at the same time, gives most experienced users a few extras with their more extensive stitch collection.
The Brother XM2701 reviewed: an honest list of features (and flaws)
Here are the features I considered when rating this sewing machine.
What to love:
- While the XM2701 is not strictly a machine for the beginner, neither is it for a professional. It hits that sweet spot in the middle. It is simple enough for a sewer’s basic skill set yet powerful enough for more adventurous projects.
- The XM2701 is lightweight at just 12.6 pounds. The machine is portable enough to take anywhere.
- The top speed of 800 stitches per minute (spm) is plenty of speed for most sewers and most sewing projects.
- The XM2701 has 27 built-in stitches including a buttonhole stitch.
- There are 63 different stitch functions accessed by using the machine’s dial controls.
- This treadle-powered sewing machine can be used on any table with the foot pedal or in a sewing table operating the pedal with your knee.
- The XM2701 features a versatile free-arm sewing area.
- The work area is brightly lit by an LED lamp so that you can easily see what your machine is stitching in real-time.
- An automatic needle threading system takes care of one of the least liked machine sewing chores.
- A quick-set top drop-in bobbin winding system makes tangled thread in your bobbins a thing of the past.
- Included with the XM2701 are the following low-shank snap-on metal presser feet: buttonhole, button sewing, narrow hemmer, zipper, blindstitch, and zigzag. You can buy additional presser feet in kits for low-shank machines. There are choices for either plastic or metal snap-on sets. Metal will last longer, obviously. I highly recommend the 32-piece Madam Sew Presser Foot Set.
- Automatic thread tension adjustment that takes the guesswork out of manual settings for perfect tension every time.
- The one-step buttonhole feature produces great results with minimum effort or fuss.
- 25-year limited warranty.
But watch out for:
- The proper pressure to use on the pedal can be tricky to learn for youngsters and new sewers.
- The plastic bobbins included are subject to breakage and just don’t wind as well as the steel variety. Consider buying a good-size collection of Class15 steel bobbins.
- The XM2701 does not include a travel case.
What others are saying
From the manufacturer:
“The XM2701 is perfect for beginners learning to sew, and for more advanced sewers looking for versatility.” Brother International Corporation
What the pros say:
“The Brother XM2701 lightweight sewing machine is a heavy contender when it comes to simplified strength and durability while on the go.” Sewing From Home
“Ideal for everyday sewing projects (including quilting), this machine offers everything you could possibly need to bring your sewing ideas to life.” Quilters Review
“Offers exceptional value for money.” The Chicago Tribune
|Source||Av. Score||Last checked||No. Ratings|
|Amazon||4.7 out of 5||15 Feb 2021||13k+|
|Walmart.com||4.7 out of 5||15 Feb 2021||254|
|eBay||4.8 out of 5||15 Feb 2021||249|
What to expect when you buy
The following are included with the Brother XM201:
- Darning plate
- Accessory bag with needle pack
- Twin needle
- Extra spool pin
- Bobbins (3)
- Power cord
- Instructional DVD
- Operation manual in both English and Spanish
Alternatives to the Brother XM2701
The Brother XM2701 is, in our opinion, one of the best models for home sewers with normal requirements. Of course, other brands do an excellent job of covering the home sewing market. The following sewing machines have comparable capability to the XM2701.
This machine has 57 stitch applications, 3 sewing feet, darning plate, pack of needles, bobbins: SINGER class 15 (transparent), needle plate screwdriver, spool pin felt, seam ripper / lint brush
Has 12 stitches, snap-on presser feet, dial stitch selector, and up to 860 stitches per minute speeds.
Elnita EM16 Mechanical Sewing Machine
Easy to use and includes every feature you would need for basic or beginner sewing including 16 stitches, buttonhole capability, and adjustable thread tension.
In a nutshell
The Brother XM2701 is a fine choice for home sewers who need a basic machine to repair clothing, make home decor items, and fashion their own garments. The sewing machine can also handle more complicated work, especially when paired with a good set of additional presser feet. With this capability and the bargain price, the XM2071 is a great choice for most home sewers.