Who doesn’t really want to try out a computerized sewing machine? The idea might scare a beginner, but SINGER’s Stylist 7258 is a good fit for most new and intermediate sewers. The top stitching speed is 750 stitches per minute, which is very quick, but you can speed slower for those demanding small jobs.
There are a lot of unique features in this machine. 100 basic stitches magically become 203 stitch applications with a computerized screen’s touch on the front of the 7258’s face. If you want to sew clothing, home projects, or a beautiful quilt, the 7258 would be an excellent choice to consider.
Our review of the Stylist 7258 is prepared for you based on my decades’ long sewing experience as well as opinions from home users, other pros, and sewing instructors.
Our Rating = 4.9 / 5
For home sewing, the SINGER Stylist 7258 earns a solid 4.9 out of a possible 5.0
In this article:
Is the SINGER Stylist 7258 right for you?
The SINGER Stylist 7258 is a good choice for intermediate-level home sewers. The machine is solid and has many great features most sewers will use again and again. If you order the 7258, you will access the SINGER Sewing Assistant App, free classes, and various YouTube offerings.
The SINGER Stylist 7258 reviewed: an honest list of features (and flaws)
Here are the features I considered when rating this sewing machine.
What to love:
- The machine comes with 100 stitch applications and 203 built-in stitches. These include a variety of straight, zigzag, hemming, and decorative you can access by pressing the right button on the machine’s front. Each selection will automatically select the optimal stitch length, width, and, most importantly, thread tensions for the best result.
- The user mechanically controls the speed of stitching at up to 750 stitches per minute, and 13 controllable variable needle positions make sewing more accessible and faster or slower depending on the project.
- Programmable needle up/needle down positioning makes stitch line ending perfectly every time.
- The 7258 features 6 different 1-step buttonholes. Just put the button into the device, and you’ll get a perfectly sized buttonhole.
- The interior metal frame and the stainless-steel bedframe of the 7258 provide exceptional durability.
- The 7258 has a free-arm feature. When you remove the bed to uncover the free arm, you’ll find an accessory storage holder.
- A drop-feed lever lets you control the placement of the machine’s feed teeth. This is especially useful in quilting and other finicky sewing operations.
- The built-in needle threading feature gives easier upper threading. The 7258 is designed to be successfully threaded in just six seconds.
- The drop-in bobbin is more accessible to mount than a front-loading bobbin. It’s also simpler to monitor the bobbin’s fill line through a clear plastic cover.
- An extra-high presser foot lift lets you control foot position for each fabric weight and thickness.
- Adjustable stitch length and width (up to 6mm) puts you in complete control of stitch appearance.
- The 7258 has a real reverse stitch lever to use with any stitch to change shapes and contours.
- 8 snap-on presser feet make changing from one to another easy and foolproof.
- The 7258 ’s dimensions are 14.5 x 7.5 x 12 inches, and it weighs 14.8 pounds.
- The 7258 has the standard SINGER 30-day return policy, 1/5/25-year warranties.
But watch out for:
- Make sure you understand how to use your machine before you try. Take advantage of SINGER’s Sewing Assistant App to make your learning curve easier.
What others are saying about the SINGER Stylist 7258
From the manufacturer:
“With 203 stitch applications from which to choose, you can create and embellish fashions, home decor, and much more.” SINGER
What the pros say:
“The Singer 7258 Stylist comes with a host of features that makes it ideal for beginners and intermediate sewers who enjoy fashion sewing, quilting, home sewing, and more.” Stitchers-source.com
“If you are a stylist or you are a beginner looking for an entry-level sewing machine that has the ability to do a lot more, the Singer 7258 Stylist fits the bill.” Bestsewingmachinereviews.com
“For the best balance of value, intuitive features, and advanced capabilities, the Singer 7258 Computerized Sewing Machine is our top choice for beginning and intermediate sewers. TheSpruce.com
|4.6 out of 5
|27 March 2021
|4.2 out of 5
|27 March 2021
|4.8 out of 5
|27 March 2021
What to expect when you buy
The following are included with the 7258:
- General-purpose foot, zipper foot, buttonhole foot, satin stitch foot, blind hem foot, overcast foot, darning/embroidery foot, rolled hem foot clearance plate to sew thick seams
- Darning plate
- Needle pack
- Bobbins (Class 15J)
- Spool caps, auxiliary spool pin, and spool pin felt,
- Seam ripper/lint brush
- Soft dust cover
Alternatives to the SINGER Stylist 7258
SINGER is a company with a tremendous multi-generational reputation for designing and manufacturing excellent home sewing machines. However, it always pays to check the competitors even if you’re decided on the 7258.
The CS7000i has 70 built-in stitches and a complete electronic interface.
The 4452 has 32 built-in stitches and a fully automatic buttonhole feature.
The 6800C has the sturdiness of the SINGER line of heavy-duty machines with the features of an up-market computerized machine.
In a nutshell
The SINGER Stylist 7258 sewing machine is excellent for intermediate home sewers who want an easy electronic sewing device with great features. The 7258 is not too fussy or too complicated and should give good service for years.